I have been planning to try this for weeks now: a homemade bleach paste to use on the grout in my oh-so-disgusting apartment bathroom. Here is a technique of what not to do. Please help me!
Maybe I should begin by saying that my apartment grows mold like I’ve never seen before. It isn’t regular mold. It is blackish-green and has an epoxy-like attachment to whatever it grows on. Naturally I thought that a tide with bleach pen would work in the bathroom to clean up the grout before we move (YES we are moving out this week and I can’t wait). However, I wasn’t going to go buy a pen so I wanted to see if I could make some paste that would stick to the grout and when washed away reveal a glistening clean mold-free grout that has those little sparklies as seen in commercials.
- 1 plastic container, re-purposed and disposable
- 2 T flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Bleach-water (just enough to mix the paste)
- One toothbrush (disposable)
- Mixing apparatus (I used a coffee stirrer)
- Ventilation/rubber gloves/mask if no ventilation
Disclaimer: I am not a chemist. Please don’t try this. It didn’t work anyway.
I scrubbed the paste on the grout with my toothbrush and let it sit for a few minutes. Finally I rinsed it off and voila! No sparklies :(. The grout was just as black as before. The mold might have turned a little more grey, but my paste did not work to the standards I need.
Please help! Give me suggestions on how to get rid of this! We are moving out this week and I need to get the bathroom back in its “fresh” condition. You can add comments or links by replying in the comment box below or clicking on Leave a comment to the right of the title, “Dirty Little Secrets”.